Getting in with The Crowd
We’ve grown steadily since 2012 and stayed true to a vision that brings together agency best practice with freelancers that have the depth of knowledge you find in-house. To be a good fit for our collective you’ll probably be at account director level or above and have the full package:
- Be a complete geek in terms of sector knowledge i.e. B2B Tech, Cyber Security or FinTech.
- Be at the top of your game in terms of one or more comms disciplines but not afraid to get your hands dirty. There’s no requirement for pure strategists here.
- And despite being a freelancer, actually enjoy being part of a team that is genuinely collaborative and supportive. So you need to be communicative and committed.
The perks are fairly obvious: you get to contribute to cool accounts, work as part of a team of diverse, senior professionals, (so you really can go on holiday and not check emails) in a positive and supportive culture, working the hours and days you chose, from home, for great rates.
Advice for freelancers and for launching your career in PR
We’ve a whole load of useful blogs on freelancing and working as an independent covering everything from how to understand your market worth and what to charge to time management and freelance fashion (Sam’s advice: dress as if you have a crush on the delivery guy or girl). You can check out all our advice and musings here.
We also look at how to launch your career in our industry, so there are lots of top tips for internships and gaining work experience and how to make the most of those early roles. You can check out all our advice here.
Not on the lookout for anyone specific right now, but we welcome the ad-hoc approach so if you’re a perfect fit, knock out your best pitch to Sam on email and see where it goes…
20/3/2019: Looking for a media savvy, part-time freelance PR junior to support our busy PR team and run our own social media feeds for around 10 – 20 hours a month.
What’s great about this job?
- Work your own hours from home when you want, fits in perfectly with uni, the demands of a young family, a returner looking to get back up to speed, or the need for a second job.
- Although remote working you’re part of a really nice, diverse team that are kind and supportive and you are learning best practise all the way.
- It’s paid experience working on smart B2B fintech accounts and your responsibilities grow as you prove your capabilities.
- You get your hands on cool PR tools like Response Source and Digital Coverage Books.
- We have a respected market reputation, so a stint with us looks great on your CV. Our past juniors have gone on to walk straight into their dream jobs, as demonstrated by Marcel and Holly.
What do you need to be able to do it?
Working remotely is not easy in some ways, so you need to be a conscientious self-starter, a clear communicator and someone who, once they agree a deadline, does not miss it. You need to be able to demonstrate a genuine interest in B2B and PR with a proven basic knowledge of the media landscape. Fintech is not an easy subject so you should have some level of desire to understand it – as it won’t come naturally! You’ll be comfortable working in Excel and you should be able to write succinctly and clearly, while experience of managing social media feeds (primarily LinkedIn and Twitter) is a plus.
If that hasn’t put you off already, pitch Sam@commscrowd.com
11/11/2018 Looking for an experienced hardcore freelance B2B Tech PR and or FinTech PR who has a passion for pitching and strong media relationship skills.
We think you’d like to work with us because:
There’s no need to come into the office because we don’t have one, but you’ll be working in a fully supportive, collaborative environment. You’ll work in a small team of fellow freelance PRs and writers on several accounts so you have cover and support as well as access to the best media and digital tools to get the job done. Most importantly, we are utterly best practise and genuinely nice people to work with. And we do meet face to face from time to time!
Our clients are pretty cool too. We’re retained by some very smart b2b tech start-ups as well as more established firms working in fintech, civic tech and public sector so you need to be familiar with the latest technologies and digital developments as well as be able to shape compelling stories and pitch them to the trade and national tech and business media.
If this sounds of interest please check us out and get in touch with our founder with your pitch! firstname.lastname@example.org.